Webinar: Economic and Ecological Optimization of Pipeline Compression - 3PM London
Sponsored by: MAN Diesel & Turbo
- Pipeline Compression
Date: 9 December
Time: 4PM Zurich / 3PM London / 9AM Houston
How MOPICO® High Speed Compression Technology is suited for today’s pipeline operators requirements
World's population and industrialization growth have led to a huge rise in energy demand. Natural gas is one of the most used fossil fuels and its share in the energy mix will further increase in the future.
The natural gas transportation over long distances requires a large number of pipeline compressor stations which keep the gas flowing and maintain a set delivery pressure. Gas turbine and electric motor drives are the major prime movers used for these stations. The natural gas pipeline deregulation and stringent environmental regulations have caused more and more pipeline operators to evaluate electric drives as a valid economic and environmental alternative to gas turbine driven equipment.
MAN Diesel & Turbo has pioneered the development of oil-free turbocompressor systems using high-frequency motor drives and active magnetic bearings. Starting with the natural gas pipeliner MOPICO® (Motor Pipeline Compressor) in the early 90’s, the use of these state-of-the-art technology has been further applied to process compressors for a wide range of applications in the oil & gas and process industries.
MAN’s MOPICO® compression systems offer considerable advantages:
• The flexibility to meet operators’ most stringent requirements for daily gas trading and seasonal gas transportation.
• Significant reduction of the overall footprint, weight and noise of the equipment allowing substantial CAPEX advantages.
• Undisputed reliability of active magnetic bearings and solid state frequency converters ensuring reliability and availability levels - unachieved by conventional driving systems.
• Minor operation and maintenance costs due to the simplicity of the motor-compressor unit in combination with magnetic suspension.
• Simple remote control of the electric system and less local manning.
The webinar will give detailed information of MAN's pioneering in magnetically-levitated compression systems for gas transport, gas storage and finally for subsea gas transport compression. Our experts will round off their presentation with case studies, current developments and an outlook on future technologies.
Register now and join our webinar to get a deep insight into MAN’s MOPICO® technology.
This webinar will be presented live twice at:
- 8AM Zurich/ 7AM London
- 9AM Houston/ 3PM London
Please register for the most suitable time.
Head of Sales, Oil & Gas Midstream, SBU Turbomachinery
Christian Brotel received his M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Turbomachinery, Fluid Mechanics and Energy Systems from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) in 1998. In 1999 he started his professional career as a Gas Turbine Project Engineer within ALSTOM Power's Global Technical Sales for gas turbine and combined cycle power plants. He was then promoted in 2001 as Technical Project Manager, responsible for projects in Asia and Oceanic Markets. Within these positions he gained a broad know-how in power plant engineering.
In 2003 Christian joined the Sales and Contract team of MAN Diesel & Turbo in Zurich (Switzerland), working as a Sales Manager in the field of hydrocarbon processing industries, gas transport and gas storage applications. Besides the sales related handling of the different products within the MAN Diesel & Turbo portfolio, Christian Brotel specialized himself in the field of high-speed magnetic levitated and hermetically sealed motor compressor trains. Since 2005, he is also responsible for MAN's Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) projects.
In March 2013, Christian Brotel has been appointed Head of Sales of the Gas Storage and Sealed Technologies segment.
Patrik Meli ,
Vice President Engineering Zurich, SBU Turbomachinery
Patrik Meli studied mechanical engineering at the Polytechnical Institute in Winterthur (Switzerland) where he received his Diploma from the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1995 (equivalent to a BSc Degree in Mechanical Engineering). In addition, he obtained a Masters Degree in Business Engineering in 1999.
In 1996, Patrik joined the Engineering department of Sulzer Turbo (today's MAN Diesel & Turbo) in Zurich (Switzerland). In 1999 he was promoted to the position of Manager Engineering, responsible for the design of centrifugal compressors.
In July 2008, Patrik Meli was promoted to Head of Engineering Zurich and in 2011 has been appointed Head of Engineering & Development at MAN Diesel & Turbo in Zurich. In this function, he is responsible for the design and development of all radial compressors, including the emission-free compressors and the motor-compressor units, which are manufactured in Zurich.
Key Learning Objectives
- Market requirements for the compression systems in terms of operational safety, flexibility and environmental regulations
- How MAN’s natural gas compression technology can meet customer’s requirements
- Overview of MOPICO® key features
- Learn how MAN will continuously innovate the products to conquer new frontiers.
- Head of Oil & Gas Midstream
- Heads of Rotating Machinery
- Heads of Rotating Equipment
- Head of Development Projects
- Head of Pipeline infrastructure development
- Head of Pipeline Business Development