Management of Distributed Energy Resources and Microgrids using Advanced DMS
Sponsored by: Schneider Electric
Date: 18 June
Time: 3PM London/10AM New York
Analysis, control, and optimisation of Distributed Energy Resources and Microgrids within a Smart Grid distribution network
Distributed energy resources and microgrids, including contribution from renewable generation sources, are proliferating rapidly within utility distribution systems. This results in reverse power flow conditions, impacts on voltage profile, and more complex protection schemes. Utilities are faced with the challenge of planning for and coordinating these diverse resources and mitigating their impacts on the distribution network.
However, distributed energy resources and microgrids offer benefits to the utility, including helping to increase the margin between system load and generation capacity, providing more reliable power by reducing local outage duration, smoothing the variable power curves created by renewables, and improving public perception due to the improved implementation of more “green” energy sources.
This presentation will discuss how an Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS) combined with an accurate weather forecasting system can be used to resolve problems, improve coordination, and increase benefits of both distributed energy resources and microgrids.
Learn how an ADMS can turn potential problems presented by distributed energy resources and microgrids into benefits for your utility by attending this informative presentation.
John Dirkman, P.E.,
Sr. Product Manager, Smart Grid Global
John Dirkman P.E., Sr. Product Manager, Smart Grid Global, provides product and program management for advanced integrated Smart Grid systems, from concept through sales, design, development, implementation, and maintenance. Dirkman has been with Schneider Electric for over 10 years and has served as product and program manager for a wide variety of Smart Grid implementations.
Download SlidesPlease login to download the slides
Key Learning Objectives
- Learn how distributed energy resources and microgrids can impact an electric distribution system.
- Discover ways to manage and optimise distributed energy resources and microgrids using ADMS.
- Integration of an accurate weather forecasting system with ADMS maximises benefits from renewables, distributed energy resources, and microgrids.
- Effective and secure communication systems are required to coordinate distributed energy resources and microgrids with the utility distribution network.
- System Operators
- Heads of Research and Development